Social Icons

Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Electronic vs. Paper

There are a few things in my life right now where this question comes up.  One area is reading.  I am an avid reader.  For as long as I can remember, I have been consuming books.  It is not uncommon for me to read one or two books during the weekend.  Depending on the story, I can be lost completely in the book and people have a hard time reaching me.  God help them if they interrupt the climax of the story!  Anyway, my loving husband has noticed that when I go to the library I usually leave with a large stack of books.  They take up space, are heavy etc.  When he got his Kobo last year, I was sceptical.  How can you enjoy a book on that tiny little thing?  The weight of the book, the feel of the paper, the smell... all these things make the experience even better.  He convinced me to try it out, and I have to admit that, while it was different, I liked it.  This Christmas he gave me my own Kobo Touch.  (This was a couple of days after I'd been to the library to take out a huge stack of books.)  The books went untouched while I played with my new toy.  It took some getting used to, but I have managed to include it into my life  quite easily.  I can take it to work for Silent Reading, and not worry about the added weight in my already full bag.  I took it when we went out of town, and again the size of it was perfect.  There is a negative to the Kobo, I quite easily lose myself on the bookstore's website lusting after new titles to add to my personal library.  The books are not that much cheaper than the paper copy, and I can't trade them with my mom.  That's a bit of a downer.

Another area is scrapbooking.  I am continually drawn to digital designs, but still love the tactile aspect to traditional scrapping.  I did also get Photoshop Elements for Christmas, so I could start to learn how to add digital elements into my pages.  I think for now, I'll enjoy the Kobo and look into the digital scrapping over the Summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for looking. Please leave a message so that I know you were here!

 
Blogger Templates