Social Icons

Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

5 day weekend... sort of

Well, it's happened.  The Union won the race and we have now escalated our job action.  This means that we are on strike.  For Monday for sure, and we'll just have to wait and see about Tuesday and Wednesday.  3 full days without pay.  Walking around in the cold and snow (yes it says that it's supposed to snow).  I am Strike Captain (lucky me), which really means I have to keep track of who shows up.  Yay.
I have been reading lots of news and listening to lots of radio coverage about this situation.  The reports are pretty accurate, most of the time.  I just wonder how much regular Joe is following the situation. 
I was pretty impressed when I saw the coverage in Vancouver about the high school students staging a protest.  The ones that spoke on camera seemed well informed and supportive of teachers.  I know that there are the naysayers out there that say that most of them are doing it to get out of school, but it's nice to know that some of the students are concerned about their education.  Buoyed by this look at teenagers, I was hopeful that it reached some of the ears of our youth here.  Then I went to the grocery store.  The cashier and clerk were chatting about their 5 day weekend, and then proceeded to say that they both skipped school today too, so they got 6 days instead!  The woman in line in front of me was asking them if they both went to school and if they were upset about missing next week.  They were not.  When it was my turn, I was curious what they knew about the situation, so yes, I asked.  "Why are the teachers going on strike, anyway?"  The gum-snapping teen answered "Uh, I guess it's about money.  I wouldn't complain, they make like 80 thousand a year, and get Summers off and Christmas and all the holidays."  I narrowed my eyes, and clamped my mouth shut over my reply, took my receipt and walked away. 
I guess I should be happy that at least some youth, some where are aware of what's happening to their education.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for looking. Please leave a message so that I know you were here!

 
Blogger Templates