Social Icons

Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

Report cards, farts and conversation

 This is a post that I found, I thought I had posted it already...

This month is almost over and I have to say it's been going by quickly.  We have managed to get out a little more than usual.  We went to see a production of "Chicago" that our friends were in and to the pub afterwards for a beer.  That was a big night out. We've visited friends from our last job and I've actually managed to get to a sorority meeting this month.  Not sure I will join again.  I think I need to visit a couple more times before I decide.
This week is the beginning of report cards, and it's my first time using BCESIS.  What fun that is to build all the comments in.  It takes a while just to do that part, but once it's done I have them forever, or as long as I teach here.
I have been following a few education blogs and blogs by teachers.  There is some very interesting conversation going on out there.  It's interesting how easy it is now to share and find information about teaching and learning compared to when I first started teaching 10 years ago.  There was no conversation, or if there was it was local.  Now I can get it with blogs, Twitter and other social media.  Right now I am a lurker mostly, enjoying the conversations and getting ideas.
Right now I am feeling a little behind.  There were so many things that I wanted to do, that I haven't been able to get to.  There are so many things that I feel like I should be doing.  There has to be a balance somewhere.  My fire is a little smaller this week.  I don't know if it's the sudden drop in temperature, report cards or the negativeness that I am picking up on at work.  Maybe all of the above.
One thing that makes my day is the look on a tadpole's face when they get a math concept, or when they have to share that piece of news before they burst.  I have one tadpole that makes me laugh almost daily.  He can also be frustrating, but mostly funny.  Last week and this have been about farts for him.  I'm not sure what started it, but last Friday he was telling off some people for touching the chair pad that he sits on.  (He's a fidgety little guy).  When I inquired he told me the issue.  "Mrs. Nowell some people were touching my chair thing!  I told them they shouldn't, 'cause they were touching my farts!"  I thought I hadn't heard right, as he was so earnest.  "Pardon?" I asked. "Yeah I farted earlier on it and then they touched it!  They touched my farts!"  Usually, I can keep straight faced and divert the attention away, but not that day.  His logic was sound and I burst out laughing- I mean really how could I not?  The bell saved me and as the kids filed out the door I was still laughing.  This is the same tadpole that told me we were taste twins because we like tuna sandwiches with pickles and no onions.   He usually has something that he is bursting to tell me daily, and really he makes my day.  It was great today when he got picked during a performance at the school to play an instrument.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for looking. Please leave a message so that I know you were here!

 
Blogger Templates